Remember when you first stared out at a majestic seascape from your boat, soaked in a view of the expansive ocean from a cliff-side hike, or tasted the first fresh-caught salmon of the season? These blissful moments are fundamental to our Alaskan way of life that we so value.
Your deep connection to the sea and steadfast dedication to the Alaska Marine Conservation Council demonstrates your personal commitment to protecting our marine resources for future generations. With your generous support, AMCC has helped to safeguard our way of life for the past 20 years. Thanks to members like you, we have gained a seat at the political table, as well as a seat at your community dinner tables. Help us start 2015 off with an investment in healthy fisheries for Alaska’s future.
During 2014, your gifts have enabled us to accomplish many things, including:
- Creating a nationwide Fishing Community Coalition to advance marine conservation and community protections in the reauthorization of the Magnuson-Stevens Act;
- Expanding our Catch of the Season program to deliver four new seafood species from low-impact fisheries caught by community-based fishermen to over 200 Alaskan households;
- Advancing an innovative proposal to protect Alaskans access to fisheries through the creation of a Gulf of Alaska Community Fishing Association;
- Highlighting the importance of local Alaskan seafood through 11 events and farmers markets in Kodiak, Sitka, Anchorage, and Palmer;
- Successfully launching the Kodiak Jig Seafoods brand with fishermen;
- Publishing and disseminating best practices for gentle release of sport-caught halibut with Alaska Sea Grant.
Unfortunately the ocean and its many important species don’t speak for themselves. We are asking for your help in being this voice. Together, we can advance community-based solutions to address ocean acidification, the decline of our king salmon and halibut, support our young fishermen, and ensure a vibrant future for Alaska’s fisheries and communities. By supporting these projects and many more, you are helping to create a brighter future for our oceans and communities for current and future generations of Alaskans.
Please join me in making an investment in the future of Alaska’s oceans with a year-end gift to the Alaska Marine Conservation Council. Your tax-deductible donation will help protect our marine resources and those awe-inspiring Alaskan moments that remind us all why we love this great coastal state. Thank you for your generous support!
Warm holiday wishes to you and your family,
P.S. Holiday shopping on Amazon? When you shop at AmazonSmile, Amazon donates 0.5% of the purchase price to Alaska Marine Conservation Council. Bookmark the link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/92-0155875 and support healthy oceans and coastal communities every time you shop.