More resources about what ocean acidification means for Alaska’s marine ecosystems and natural resource management:
- The Alaska Center for Climate Assessment and Policy posted a Seminar on Ocean Acidification Perceptions, Risks, and Uncertainties (December 2013) by Jeremy Mathis (NOAA PMEL and UAF) on the current state of knowledge and risk assessment related to Alaska’s commercial seafood sector.
- One major area of concern is how ocean acidification will affect Alaska’s crab fisheries; this issue was featured in recent stories onPBS and in The Seattle Times.
- The University of Alaska Fairbanks Ocean Acidification Research Center conducts monitoring and research and serves as a repository of Alaska-based information.
- The Alaska Ocean Observing System, NOAA’s Pacific Marine Environmental Lab, UAF, and other partners support a series of moorings to monitor conditions at key spots in the Gulf of Alaska, Bering Sea, and Arctic Ocean. Each is equipped with sensors that make hourly measurements of a variety of water properties, including alkalinity (or pH).
- The Habitat and Ecological Processes Research Program of NOAA’s Alaska Fisheries Science Center summarizes reports on impacts, research and monitoring plans, and information on work underway.
To learn more about Ocean Acidification, check out:
- The Island Institute’s Video Series, ‘A Climate of Change’
- NOAA’s Pacific Marine Environmental Lab – Ocean Acidification Program
- The Pacific’s Perilous Turn, Seattle Times (September 2013)
- Stanford University/Hopkins Marine Station interactive educational site
- Scientific review article on potential impacts, knowledge, and recommendations for future research by Denman et al. (2011) in ICES Journal of Marine Science
- Scientific review article on the impacts of ocean acidification on marine organisms by Kroeker et al. (2013) in Global Change Biology
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution’s Ocean Acidification Website
- Ocean Acidification Summary for Policymakers (IGBP, IOC, SCOR, 2013)
- Report from IPCC Workshop on Impacts of Ocean Acidification on Marine Biology and Ecosystems (2011)
- Frequently Asked Questions about Ocean Acidification (OCB, EPOCA, 2010)